Owners of dogs and cats are reminded the annual deadline for registering your animal with Council - or for renewing your registration - falls on 10 April.
All dogs and cats aged three months or older must be registered and microchipped.
Registration costs $45 for dogs and cats that are desexed, with discounts available if you are a pensioner. If your pet ever gets lost, it will be easier for us to find its owner if the pet is registered.
Recent legislation requires that, all cats and dogs registered with the council for the first time must be microchipped prior to registration.Fast facts
- 12,901 dogs and 5357 cats were registered in Monash in 2013
- The most popular breeds of registered dogs in Monash are: Maltese Cross, Labrador and Jack Russell.
- Popular names of registered dogs in Monash: Bella, Max and Charlie. Popular names of registered cats in Monash: Molly, Bella and Oscar
- 554 dogs and 86 cats found lost or wandering in Monash in 2013 were reunited with their owners (by Council or by the RSPCA which is contracted by Council to pick up wandering animals on weeknights or weekends).
- Compulsory de-sexing of cats
- Registration fees and renewal form
- Concession Rates
- New Registrations
- Replacement Tags for Your Pet
- Refund of Animal Registration Fees - Deceased / Departed or Lost Animals
- Applications Forms and Permits
More information: 9518 3555.
Registration fees and renewal form
If you have not received your Animal Registration Renewal notice, or you have a new animal to register, please email us your request, including your postal address.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9518 3555.
To register your dog/cat please download:
- Email: email@example.com (please ensure that form is signed and scanned or includes an electronic signature)
- Mail or hand delivery: 293 Springvale Road, Glen Waverley 3150
Animal registration renewal payments are due on 10 April each year, and failure to register a cat and/or dog can attract penalties.
Registration fees are reduced from 10 October for any new animal registration until the next annual renewal is due.
Dog and cat registration: Online Payments.
Dogs and cats current registration fees
Cats and dogs must be registered and microchipped by 3 months of age.
Microchipping is mandatory and a satisfactory proof is required.
- Over 10 Years of Age
- Part of a Domestic Animal Business or Applicable Organisation*
- Animals that have undergone recognised obedience training or a working dog
- Greyhounds (Currently registered with Greyhound Control Board) - NO CHARGE
- Working guide dog and puppies - NO CHARGE
- Australian National Cats
- Cats Victoria Inc
- Dogs Victoria
- Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
- The Government Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.
Dogs or cats who do not meet the above requirements will be charged a fee of $135.00.
Satisfactory proof that your pet is eligible for the lower fee must be supplied along with your application.
If this is not available, please submit a sworn Statutory Declaration.
For persons eligible under the State Concession Act 1966 (Pension concession card, War Widow entitlements or TPI entitlements), a concession rate applies for both maximum ($56.00) and reduced fees ($18.50).
This does not include Health Care Cards or Seniors Cards.
If you are eligible for registration at the concession rate, Council must see the original concession card or a copy to prove eligibility.
To transfer an animal, currently registered with another Council, please complete and return the Animal Registration Form and a new registration will be issued from the City of Monash.
The fees as listed above apply and the animal owner should apply for a refund from the original Council.
Replacement tags for your pet
If your pet's tag has gone missing and you need a replacement tag, contact the Council on 9518 3555 immediately.
You can either write to Council requesting a replacement tag and including your payment, or visit the Civic Centre in Glen Waverley or the Service Centre in Oakleigh, between 8.30am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Refund of animal registration fees - deceased / moved or lost animals
If your animal is deceased, has departed the municipality or has been missing for longer than three weeks, you may be entitled to a refund of your current animal registration fee.
Please write to Council requesting a refund and stating that your animal is deceased, has departed the municipality or has been missing for more than three weeks and that you would like a refund.
Last updated: 26 February 2015Back to main navigation Back to section navigation